Alberto Del Rio discussed his WWE termination for the first time on Mexican television on Monday morning. Below are some notes from the segment:
- The incident occurred backstage at the August 5, 2014 Smackdown taping in Laredo, Texas. This is in fact where Del Rio cut the strange promo on the August 5, 2014 episode of WWE Main Event (full results here) on the WWE Network.
- Del Rio confirmed it was WWE social media manager Cody Barbierri that he slapped and that he acted unprofessionally. He said he was embarrassed by his actions.
- The incident was witnessed by many, including Jack Swagger, who Del Rio mentioned by name.
- Alberto confirmed our report that when he confronted Barbierri and requested he apologize, Barbierri smiled. This is when he slapped him.
- Vince McMahon met with Del Rio after the incident and told him to go back to work. He said it was the next day that Triple H called to inform him that WWE had terminated his contract.
- Del Rio's WWE contract was coming up in February 2015 and he wasn't planning on re-signing due to the hectic travel schedule.
You can watch the interview at this link or embedded below: