CM Punk surprised the world when he announced live at UFC 181 on pay-per-view that he has signed a multi-fight deal with UFC. Much has already been written about his debut but we wanted to make sure that all of our readers were up to speed.
Here’s everything you need to know about CM Punk’s UFC debut:
- UFC President Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta flew to Chicago to discuss a deal with Punk fighting for the organization. Punk, who dealt with a lack of communication from WWE, was impressed with how they did business.
- As of October 26, 2014, Punk’s 36th birthday, he was officially free of restrictions attached from his contract with WWE. A settlement was reached in regards to a non-compete clause, which was a barrier in getting a deal done.
- Punk’s wife, AJ Lee, wasn’t thrilled with the idea of Punk fighting for real but supports him 100%. Punk has admitted he was terrified about telling her.
- UFC is already referring to CM Punk as Phil Brooks. It’s expected this is how he will be billed when he fights, but I would expect the “CM Punk” name to also be included. As an example, I would bill him as Phil “CM Punk” Brooks kind of like ”Rampage” Quentin Jackson.
- Punk is expected to fight at 185 pounds, which would put him in the Middleweight class. However, he’s not ruling out dropping down to 170 pounds, which would put him in the Welterweight class.
- CM Punk will fight in UFC next year, however, he will not debut until he thinks he’s ready. There is absolutely no timetable for his debut other than it will happen in 2015.
- Punk feels his ground game will surprise people. He’s a brown belt in jiu-jitsu and has trained under Rener Gracie.
- CM Punk isn’t sure if he’ll walk out to “Cult of Personality” by Living Colour but he might.