SMACKDOWN! LIVE (05.23.17)
TOLEDO, OH (Huntington Center)
Commentators: Tom Phillips, John "Bradshaw" Layfield, Byron Saxton
Written by Brendan Wahl
A long police escort brought out a limo containing the new WWE Champion Jinder Mahal. Before he got out, the Singh Brothers rolled out a carpet for him to step on as he would have his Punjabi Celebration later tonight.
Shane McMahon came down to the ring to open the show while the Money in the Bank briefcase was hanging above the ring. Shane announced that Mahal would defend his newly-won title against Randy Orton in a rematch at the show and then announced five Money in the Bank participants: AJ Styles, Baron Corbin, Sami Zayn, Dolph Ziggler and Shinsuke Nakamura. At first, United States Champion Kevin Owens made his way out but Shane quickly informed him that he would not be an official participant and then brought Nakamura out to the ring. Kevin protested not being in the match so eventually Shane made him an official participant as well. Baron suggested that they just hand him the briefcase now and get it over with but Styles reminded him that this is the house that he built. Sami and Corbin almost got into a brawl and then Ziggler reminded everyone that he's the only one that has previously won this kind of match AND won the title shortly afterwards. Nakamura then got his turn and reminded everyone of who he was. Shane then booked Sami vs. Corbin in a rematch and a tag match with Owens & Ziggler taking on the dream team of Styles & Nakamura both for tonight.
1) Becky Lynch & Charlotte def. The Welcoming Committee (Carmella/Nattie) [w /Tamina] by submission in 7:37 when Becky made Carmella tap out to the Dis-Arm-Her.
2) Sami Zayn def. Baron Corbin by pinfall in 21 seconds when he rolled him up out of nowhere. After the match, Corbin beat the hell out of Zayn in response to the embarrassing loss. Sami ended up doing a stretcher job.
AJ Styles and Shinsuke Nakamura talk strategy with each other but argue a bit over who will lead the team.
In the latest installment of the Fashion Files, the tandem of Breezango questioned if this could be their final installment. Shane McMahon becomes an unwilling castmember of this episode as Breezango "turn in their badges" and then a number of other fashion items. Shane said that they have already proved themselves and says that Tyler Breeze will take on Jey Uso while Fandango will face Jimmy Uso, both of which will take place here tonight.
The Punjabi Celebration was the next order of business as there was tons of fanfare and vast amounts of exquisite culture during the introductions. WWE Champion Jinder Mahal then made his way to the ring alongside the Singh Brothers and talked about being the champion and making his Indian brethren proud.
3) Tyler Breeze [w /Fandango] def. Tag Team Champion Jey Uso [w /Tag Team Champion Jimmy Uso] by pinfall in 25 seconds when Fandango shot Jey with a squirt gun.
4) Fandango [w /Tyler Breeze] vs. Tag Team Champion Jimmy Uso [w /Tag Team Champion Jey Uso] by pinfall in 42 seconds when Breeze distracted Jimmy by running around the ring. Breezango then challenged the champs to give them a rematch... and it's accepted for RIGHT NOW. The ref checks with Shane in the back by talking to him on a headset and it's made official.
5) Tag Team Champions The Usos def. Breezango by pinfall in 2:57 when Fandango was pinned following a top-rope splash.
Natalya asks for a title shot since she got the victory in the 6-man tag at WWE Backlash. However, she gets arguments from Carmella, Becky Lynch, Tamina and Charlotte Flair regarding that particular honour. Shane McMahon settles it by scheduling a fatal five-way elimination match between them all next week with the winner getting the title shot against Naomi at Money in the Bank.
6) AJ Styles & Shinsuke Nakamura def. United States Champion Kevin Owens & Dolph Ziggler by pinfall in 24:46 when Nakamura hit Owens with the Kinshasa.