The Baltimore Sun reported on Tuesday that ECW Original Axl Rotten died earlier this month from an accidental overdose. He was 44 years old.
Rotten was found unconscious and not breathing February 4, 2016 on the bathroom floor at a McDonalds in Maryland. According to the police report, Rotten had pulled down the infant changing table and placed drug paraphernalia and a broken burnt tablespoon with a "crystalline residue” on it. A pill bottle that appeared to include heroin was on top of the paper-towel dispenser.
He was pronounced dead at the scene at 3:09 PM and it’s unclear how long he had been in the bathroom when he was found.
CLICK HERE for coverage by The Baltimore Sun.
Original reports indicated Rotten was found in a motel, which were inaccurate.
Rotten was a staple in ECW in the 1990s and did some work for WWE in 2015. WWE issued this statement:
WWE is saddened to learn of reports that Brian Knighton, best known for competing in ECW as Axl Rotten from 1993 to 1999, has passed away. WWE extends its condolences to Knighton’s family, friends and fans.