SAN JOSE, CA (SAP Center)
Commentators: Michael Cole, Corey Graves, Booker T
Written by Brendan Wahl
Kurt Angle opened the show by hyping No Mercy but was interrupted by The Miz and his Miztourage, who complained about not having a match this Sunday. Kurt said that there would be a fatal four-way tonight between Matt Hardy, Jeff Hardy, Jason Jordan and Elias with the winner getting a title shot at No Mercy. Miz accused Angle of nepotism and said that he would be a better father than Angle ever was beause he won't walk out on his son. This drew the ire of Jason Jordan, who threatened to knock Miz's teeth down his throat and then suggested adding Bo Dallas and Curtis Axel to the contest to make it a 6-pack challenge. Angle approved it and then Jordan cleared the heels out of the ring.
In the back, Jordan was furious but Angle said he had to know something like this would happen when it was revealed that they were related. Angle told him that if he wanted to truly get revenge he would have to defeat Miz for the Intercontinental Championship.
1) Nia Jax def. Women's Champion Alexa Bliss in a Non-Title match by pinfall in 6:40 when she hit her with the Samoan Drop. Sasha jumped on Nia and attacked her from behind but Nia brushed her off. Suddenly, Bayley appeared and got on the ring apron to confront Nia while standing alongside Sasha and Bliss. The three of them take Jax down and then Bliss tried to celebrate with them but Sasha and Bayley took her down with a Bayley-to-Belly!
A collection of tweets from various wrestlers were shown memorializing the great Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, who passed away yesterday.
A lengthy video package was shown detailing the feud between Brock Lesnar and Braun Strowman.
Sheamus & Cesaro ranted a bit about how they hate nostalgia and said they would win their titles back from the "nostalgia act" Seth Rollins & Dean Ambrose. However, both former Shield members then came down to accuse them of being a weird Taxi Driver/Braveheart hybrid. The Club then interrupted and said that Sheamus & Cesaro were not "good brothers" and that the champions were just a couple of "nerrrrrrrrrrrrds." Ambrose took umbrage with that and the upcoming Sheasaro/Club match was changed to a triple threat match.
2) Sheamus & Cesaro def. Tag Team Champions Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins and The Club in a Non-Title Triple Threat Match by pinfall in 18:37 when Sheamus stole a pin over Anderson following Dirty Deeds from Ambrose.
The Miz rallied his Miztourage for the 6-pack challenge later on tonight.
A lengthy video package was shown for the John Cena/Roman Reigns match at No Mercy.
Goldust (without makeup) asked Kurt Angle for another shot at Bray Wyatt. He said he was asking him as a friend and as Dustin Rhodes. Kurt reluctantly agreed to the match tonight.
Curt Hawkins was in the ring and said that his Star Factory was officially closed and instead he would open his History Machine, claiming that his 114-match losing streak was about to come to an end.
3) Apollo Crews [w /Titus O'Neil] def. Curt Hawkins by pinfall in 2:18 with the spin-out powerbomb.
Michael Cole talked to both Universal Champion Brock Lesnar [w /Paul Heyman] and Braun Strowman in separate areas "via satellite."
Roman Reigns came down to the ring to cut a promo about facing John Cena at No Mercy. He brought up the Alex Riley controversy (supposedly, Cena held him down) and then showed old footage from 2012 of Cena criticizing The Rock for being a part-timer.
The Hardys wished each other luck during the main event.
4) Bray Wyatt def. Dustin Rhodes by pinfall in 2:34 via Sister Abigail. After the match, Finn Balor appeared on the big screen and cut a promo on him regarding their match at No Mercy.
A tribute video was shown for Bobby "The Brain" Heenan.
Enzo Amore came down to the ring to cut a promo but Braun Strowman interrupted and beat the everloving crap out of him. Neville then came out and nailed Enzo with the Red Arrow.
5) Cruiserweight Champion Neville def. Gran Metalik in a Non-Title match by submission in 3:20 when he applied the Rings of Saturn.
6) Jason Jordan won a 6-pack Challenge for a shot at the Intercontinental Championship at No Mercy over Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Elias, Bo Dallas & Curtis Axel by pinfall in 11:26 when he scored the pin over Axel following a lifting neckbreaker. After the match, the Miz and his Miztourage jumped Jordan and left him laying.