Welcome to our WWE Raw "Open Thread" featuring streaming live results and your discussion. Tonight's episode of WWE Raw emanates from the Verizon Arena in North Little Rock, Arkansas. Below are complete results:
Before the Show:
Nia Jax attacks Sasha Banks before Raw
WWE Raw Results
Monday, January 16, 2017
From the Verizon Arena in North Little Rock, Arkansas
Report by Richard Gray of WrestlingNewsWorld.com
The show opened in memory of Jimmy ‘Superfly’ Snuka followed by the annual video package remembering Martin Luther King Jr. On commentary for the night, Michael Cole flanked by Corey Graves and Byron Saxton.
Roman Reigns came out to heat, as the cameras showed a fan holding a sign that read ‘Biggest Roman Reigns Fan.’ The announcers hyped the WWE Universal Championship match at Royal Rumble and showed the crash cage on the Raw stage.
Roman said he can’t complain about being outnumbered by the way The Shield played the numbers game. He said Owens will be complaining because Jericho will be locked in the cage. Reigns said KO can’t beat him and he will headline Wrestlemania for a third time.
Paul Heyman interrupted. Heyman said he was the calm before the storm because Brock Lesnar is in the building. As the fans chanted for Goldberg, Paul E reminded them Goldberg wouldn’t be on the show. Heyman said Lesnar will win the Royal Rumble and go over at Wrestlemania.
Kevin Owens and Chris Jericho came out and they teased the idea of Owens retaining and Jericho winning the Rumble so they would meet at Wrestlemania.
Seth Rollins cane out and said he missed the entire show last year and there is no better way to get back than to win the Rumble match. Braun Strowman came out and stared down Reigns. Brock Lesnar entered to a massive pop.
Before Brock could get to the ring, Sami Zayn showed up and took out Strowman from behind. Zayn gave him a Helluva Kick. Reigns tried to clothesline Lesnar but Brock gave him a German suplex in a counter.
Finally, Lesnar and Zayn were left in the ring. Brock smiled and then gave Zayn a German suplex. The Beast motioned for Strowman and he teased it but dropped off the apron. Roman hit Superman punches on Jericho and Owens. Lesnar hit the F5 on Reigns. Lesnar was the last man standing as he and Strowman had a staredown.
Michael Cole hyped Sheamus and Cesaro vs. Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson, while Graves promoted Big Cass and Enzo vs. Rusev and Jinder Mahal after the commercial break.
1) Big Cass and Enzo Amore beat Rusev and Jinder Mahal in 8:40. Cass hit Jinder with a big boot and then tagged in Enzo. They executed their rocket launcher finisher to get the pinfall victory.
2) Ariya Daivari beat Lince Dorado in 2:10 by submission when he locked in the Cobra Clutch.
Announced Royal Rumble entrants: Both Sheamus and Cesaro will be part of the match.
3) Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows beat WWE Raw Tag Team Champions Sheamus and Cesaro by DQ (Dusty Finish) in 13:30. Sheamus punched the referee out. Another official came out to make the count but when the original referee "came to," he ruled the match a disqualification. The crowd loved the match.
Cole, Graves and Saxton took time to remember Jimmy Snuka, sending their thoughts and prayers to his family. They then read WWE-related tweets regarding Snuka's passing.
Emmalina is still premiering soon.
Backstage, Sami Zayn tried to talk strategy with Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins. Seth said they've been there and done that. Zayn stuck his fist out like a member of The Shield. Reigns mumbled something about Dean Ambrose and walked away. Rollins did the same and Michael Cole called it awkward.
Tony Nese vs. Rich Swann doesn't happen when Neville came out and attacked Swann from behind. Nese got involved, with him going after Swann as well. A brawl ensued, with Neville throwing Nese to ringside and kicking Swann in the face.
Mike Rome interviewed Neville backstage, who talked bad about Rich Swann.
The New Day came out over like rover. Kofi Kingston spoke about the Royal Rumble being every man for himself. Titus O'Neil interrupted the trio. He asked for one of their three spots in the 30-man Royal Rumble match. This eventually led to O'Neil facing Big E for a spot in the Royal Rumble match.
4) Big E beat Titus O’Neil in 4:55 with the Big Ending.
Backstage, Charlotte was shown and a promo for Royal Rumble featuring footage from Royal Rumble I and Jim Duggan was shown.
Charlotte came out and cut a promo on Bayley, mocking her for reading a poem she wrote in high school while at the WWE Performance Center. Bayley came out and told Charlotte it wasn't necessary to show old photos. Bayley said she's not ashamed of her passion for WWE. Bayley wrote a new poem - “Roses are red, violets are blue, at Royal Rumble I will defeat you.” Bayley is aiming to beat Charlotte's pay-per-view win streak.
Michael Cole and the announcers recapped the show up until this point in the broadcast.
5) Cedric Alexander beat Brian Kendrick in 4:45. Cedric picked up the win after hitting the Lumbar Check and the scoring a pinfall. Alicia Fox, who came out and interfered during the bout, entered the ring after and Cedric teased hugging her but ducked and left. Noam Dar was shown backstage watching on a monitor.
Backstage, Nia Jax was interviewed about her attack on Sasha Banks from earlier in the day. She stated she 'broke the boss.'
Backstage, Alicia Fox was asked what happened with Cedric but she didn't want to address it. Rome asked her if it had something to do with her interfering in his match with Dar. She went off and stated she didn't want to talk about it.
Michael Cole recapped that Kurt Angle will headline the WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2017 and credited ESPN for breaking the story. Angle will appear on ESPNews on Wednesday night in the weekly WWE segment with Jonathan Coachman.
6) Chris Jericho, Braun Strowman and Kevin Owens beat Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins and Sami Zayn in 19:00. The finish saw Braun block Helluva Kick with a clothesline on Sami Zayn. He hit a running powerslam and pinned him for the three count. After the match, Braun stood tall and tossed Sami out of the ring. Rollins and Reigns mount an attack and take apart the announce table but KO and Chris Jericho stopped them. Owens connected chair shots, first on Rollins and then on Reigns. He put Reings through an announce table with a powerbomb and stood tall over him as the show faded.